Monday, April 7, 2014

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words

Ok, I admit...I just broke about every adoption rule of attachment and bonding and took my child to church after being home 9 days (but hey... it was only 2 days with Audrey An, and she's doing ok five years later- lol!).  On Friday, I drove him to our church building to let him look around prior to us going on Sunday. Well, that didn't go as planned. I was going to take him into the worship center, into his classroom and into our classroom where his daddy teaches (in case he went to our class instead).  He didn't even want to get out of the car so I didn't push it, of course, but I told him that it was a special place for our family, and that we will be coming here every week.  Once I said that, he looked at me with that sweet smile of his and nodded "yes."  I explained we come to worship God and fellowship with our friends. Well, he wasn't quite sure about that! I told him Aubrey, Parker, TJ, Hannah, Luke, Lindsey and Hannah would be there (all friends he'd met last week)- he got SO excited!

So... Saturday we prepped him again. Sunday morning we prepped him again. He saw all of us getting dressed a bit nicer than he's seen so far. He's heard us pray (even though he didn't understand our words) that God would give him a peace on Sunday. That he would not be scared. That God would begin to use this yet another "first" in his life with his forever family to draw Chan to Himself. 

He was a little resistant to go in the building, but I asked our friends Aubrey and Parker to meet him outside and that helped. My apologies to everyone I passed in the hallways and said while smiling, "Don't be offended that I'm still walking. He is a little overwhelmed right now, and we're going to just keep walking!  He will meet you later! "

Sitting next to his little sister. I translated a few things but mainly just sat back and let him get used to being in the class with the other kids.

He thought it was kind of funny that his mei mei was helping with the singing. I thought it was PERFECT that he was already seeing his sister serve in our church. 

Listening to Pastor Jason ...sitting between Audrey An and her best friend. Sorry, Grace, he scooted you over!

We strategically sat towards the back in case we had to make a quick exit. He walked in with Parker, but Chan saved a seat for Aubrey (too sweet!). 

My Aunt Linda gave this bilingual bible to Audrey An almost five years, and it's been sitting on his dresser since we have been home. He he hasn't touched it until Sunday. He was completely engaged with it for about 20-25 minutes in the service (yes, he can read chinese...sweet!). His eyes got as big as saucers, and he gasped several times while reading. So I know he was trying to comprehend all the miracles that he was reading! I leaned over to my friend Michelle and told her what was happening. She told me she had been praying that God would speak to him today in his language. Isn't God so great? I just love that!!

There was a fascination for Chan. There was anxiousness at times (as he kept showing me the sign "drive"...aka "let's go!"). I do know God was working though. He was stirring in my son's heart- and has been for awhile. It's completing incredible to see God's miracles unfolding before my eyes!

This is the first time I've jealousy on Chan's part! Audrey An climbed up into my lap, and he did not like that! I had room for two though!  Michelle took this shot, and I didn't even know it.

Priceless!! I adore how he's looking up at Parker. We slipped out of the service early- he was finished! Pretty good though for a first Sunday in the States!

Our sweet friend, Shanna, made these these shirts and gave them to us at church yesterday. They are precious!

It was a great "first" at FIRSTbcj!  Our choir sang one of my favorite songs- "The Majesty and Glory of Your a Name" followed by "Surely the Presence of The Lord is in This Place."... Gulp. Tears. Grateful. 

Some of the notes I wrote down during Pastor Mel's sermon were the following: God will take you to places you don't necessarily want to go. God will tell me things I may not want to hear. God may make you see life in ways that I may not want to see" (Christa's paraphrase). Isn't that the truth. God opened my eyes, and God opened David's eyes at the same time a little over a year ago (after many years of praying and not being on the same page at the same time) to pursue "ADB".  We were told finding ADB would be like finding a needle in a haystack (by one agency), but God knew where that needle was! I'm thankful we pursued that needle/God's plan even when it didn't make sense to others.  To God be the Glory!

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord. “As the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:8-9

1 comment:

Sandra Gibson said...

I love seeing your posts. Your last paragraph hit home with me for much different reasons. Thank you for sharing and helping us take a moment to reflect and be thankful. :)