Thursday, October 7, 2010

"Weedie"

Last Saturday, my grandmother (who we called Weedie) went to be with the Lord.  I don't know if many people can say a day at a funeral is a "good" time, but I think this one was.  She had been ill for many years and had suffered through a lot.  She had a tremendous faith in her Lord and lived her life well....all 92 years of it.  Her funeral was a celebration of her life.  It was very special  to me to hear my dad and many others speak of such fond memories and how they were impacted by her faith.   Although I didn't speak, I was recalling the fun memories I had spending the night at the children's home where she was a "house mom", sleeping in the "loft" and hanging out with all her big "girls".  It was interesting to me that when I was explaining to both Abigail and Audrey An what she did at the children's home...she was a mom to the parentless.  I have that legacy on both sides of my family.  Maybe my girls will make that connection in their own lives one day.  I rejoice that I know for sure that she's celebrating today with Jesus and for all eternity.

The other good thing about that day was I was able to show my girls the home I lived in through first grade.  I'm not usually very nostalgic about many things, but I am about some and that happens to be one.  I was brave and knocked on the door (I think much to the embarassment of some other family members!) and introduced myself.  The high school gal who came to the door invited me in...I was so excited!  I saw the inside of the house I spent the first 6 years of my life.  It had changed.  The neighborhood had changed.  I teared up- not sure why?!?!  It was a sweet memory, too.
This was taken in May...the last time I saw my grandmother.  I'm so thankful she met Audrey An and remembered who we were.

No comments: