Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Downsized...in a strange kind of way!

Abigail and I were invited to go to the movies today, and we went!  So nice to have a friend with a driver, too!!  It was a very nice theater.  Really, it was very much like what you'd see back home.  UNTIL...we had assigned seats.  I did think it strange that we had this nice, modern and spacious theater with tons of empty seats (we went to the matinee), but the 20 people who were there were all nicely squished together.  Hmmmm... no big deal.  I could role with that (and the sub-titles).  The movie was in english and the sub-titles were for the locals.  sweet.

One thing that David and I have been amazed with here is the customer service here- or should I say the lack of customer service.  Obviously, there are cultural differences living in a country that is not your "home" country, but this difference to us is truly glaring.  If it's not in their "script" it doesn't fly too well over here (no pun intended).  After purchasing our tickets we stopped to buy some snacks.  My friend and I decided to get the "family combo".  Paid for it, sipped on our coke and ate a few kernels of corn while we waited for our change.  Well, he didn't bring the correct amount so my friend graciously told him he owed us more change as she pointed and told him again what we ordered.  He proceeded to tell us that we had ordered something else, took our cokes and popcorn out of our hands (yes, that we had already been drinking and eating!) and downsize us to smaller cups and smaller popcorn bags.  Seriously???  You're going to take your customer's food items away from them as they take a gulp, throw it away and start over on the order???  Oh brother.  Needless to say today was the first time I've had an establishment take food out of my mouth!  I just hope they didn't give my coke to someone else. yuck.

Oh, then as we entered in our assigned stadium seating, spit out my gum, and dropped my popcorn bag...nice. So I was really downsized two times within about 5 minutes of each other!  Yes, one might think this was not blog noteworthy, but it was just so bizarro to me I couldn't resist...sorry : )

No comments: