Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving and no black Friday

Although our country of residence in which we live doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving, we certainly did!  Although we've seen some difficult times this year, we have a lot to be grateful and took time last week to be thankful.  We celebrated with our extended family (our friends and David's co-workers) and had a blast!  It was quite humorous to me trying to collect ingredients and cooking utensils that are not readily available here.
And we're off...four westerners, two chocolate pies, and one sweet potato casserole made it safely to the party!

NO round pie tins (or ready made crust...uggh!) in this country.  I must say my first homemade pie crust and sweet potato casserole (oh, I mean "candy") made me feel all grown up!  I DONE GOOOOD : )  WOW...I don't even want to count how many sticks of butter and cups of sugar we consumed!  Have you ever baked in basically a toaster oven???  At out house you can only use either the top heating element or the bottom heating element...not both at the same time...not too convenient for western cooking.  Oh well!  can we say improvise???  David made his grandmother's famous chocolate pies...divine!!!
Abs, wanna a little chocolate??? Love it!
My friend Chrissy made corn casserole and one of the turkeys...delish!  We had to have chopsticks, too!
Part of the gang...well, the part who didn't have to work or just got off work.
November is really "MOvember" with the AM family...Jeff, your whip cream 'stache is falling off your real one!
being funny...
Our sweet friends, Scott & Laura with the girls!
YIKES...women with knives!  You did great, ladies...turkeys were fantastic!
SO thankful for my family!!!!  THANK you for your love, support and encouragement to me this year.  I owe you big time....couldn't have done this year without you all : )
Off to shop some Black Friday sales, family????  JUST kidding... that doesn't exist out here, and it actually was quite refreshing!  David just wanted to drive his new toy.  I love you, David.  I love how you always make things so fun for the girls and make great memories with them.  I love that the locals laughed and stared at YOU while driving your motorcycle while wearing your Santa hat.  I just hate that I wasn't with you on your "tour".  You make me want to be a better mommy : )
Tradition:  we always put up our tree the day after Thanksgiving then go out for mexican food.  Well, we had to divert a tad from that plan this year.  Momma bear wasn't feeling too well, but we we did find some pretty good mexican the next day.  I think I over did it on Thursday with cooking and going out that evening.  It was fun though, and it lifted my spirits so it was worth being in bed the next day : )



"Give thanks to the Lord for He is good.  His love endure forever."  Psalm 118:29

No comments: