Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Happy New Year to me!

1403...woohoo!!! Yep, I found out tonight that's a CPK that I am actually thrilled about considering since hospitalization/rehab! When I entered the ER three weeks ago it was 8200. It's come down steadily with a few spikes. Michelle was with me tonight when I got the news. She actually did the happy dance for me and with me...so fun! Initially, the nurse wasn't going to tell me my number and I'd have to wait for the doctor tomorrow-ummmm, no! We couldn't quite figure that one out other than it was NOT good and they wanted the doctor to tell me. No stress- ha. I asked to speak to the charge nurse and she said the same thing...double arghhh! Well, since David and I track this number like some track the stock market, I told them I didn't want to wait until tomorrow, I'm sure it was going to be high so it's not going to freak me out...and besides, its my number :-) I wanted to know, and I didn't want to stress through the nite wondering if it were out of control again because the tech came in wanting to redo the lab result. Michelle and I just stopped and prayed that the charge nurse would let me to know the CPK result. Well, 2 seconds later...charge nurse knocked on my door with...guess what? My CPK! Praise Jesus that I didn't have to wait until tomorrow. I will get more lab results back when I meet with doctor ( I can wait in these....sort of!) Wednesday. Maybe the IVIG treatment is starting to kick in???

Other praises today: I had PT/OT ALL morning- again exhausting but improvement. I know it sounds very minimal to you, but the PT sat me on an elevated exercise table, walker in front, and gate belt attached to my waste. He had me do two set of ten reps of standing/sitting! I did it! Legs were wobbly, but I did it!!! Tomorrow he will lower the bench- exciting stuff- I know.

After PT/OT I choose to eat in the dining room with the other patients. I needed some social in my life. Wow is all I can say! I brought the average age down at least 40-50 years. Again, quite humbling. Humbling for several facts: 1. to be wheeled to the head of the table with people who are here getting help like I need...but, seriously, they were more than double my age and the table barely had enough room for all our wheelchairs-lol! 2. I introduce myself to the precious lady next to me and quickly discovered she'd probably had a stroke since her speech was so slurred and couldn't respond to me. and 3. To see these lovely people in the"gym" when I am and I'm telling them, "Wow, that's great! You're superwoman!" (meaning they can lift weights and walk up stairs UNlike me...at this point). Wow. Wonder what was going through all their minds with me (the "youngin') sitting there trying to drum up conversation.

I returned to hall of pain (dining room) tonight for dinner and ate with a lovely new friend and her family. I'm so glad I did. I love hearing everyone's stories. Everyone's got one. Discovered mutual friends, mutual faith, mutual careers, etc. What a blessing. When we left my new friend said in a spunky voice, "See you later, hall mate!"

"There is a time for everything and a season for every activity under the heavens: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance,a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to be silent and a time, a time for war and a time for peace.
What do workers gain from their toil?I have seen the burden God has laid on the human race. He has made everything BEAUTIFUL IN ITS TIME. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can FATHOM what God has done from beginning to end. I know that there is nothing better for people than to be happy and to do good while they live. That each of them may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all their toil—this is the gift of God. I know that everything God does will ENDURE FOREVER; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that people will fear him." Ecclesiastes 3:3-14

Side note... My baby girl comes back today from her first youth retreat with our church. I can't wait to hear all about.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Christa,
My name is Alissa and I went to high school with David. I have been following your blog for a while but I have never written anything. I want to tell you that you are one of the most courageous, upbeat and positive women I have ever "met" and your story is inspiring. I know that you are going through something that no one can imagine yet you always put a positive spin on all of your posts. I find myself checking every day for a post from you because you are in my prayers daily and you truly are an inspiration to me. I live in Birmingham but I wish that I lived near your hometown because you are such an inspiration that I would be honored to meet you. I want you to know that you are truly an inspiration to all who read your blog and I know to those who know you. Keep fighting (as I know you will) and know that a lot of people are praying for you.
In Christ,
Alissa