Sunday, December 30, 2012

Moved...again!

Yesterday, I finished my first full day in rehab #2. All in all it I thought the transfer went fairly smoothly, and the red tape wasn't too thick to cut while everything worked out for the transfer to the new digs. Of course, David and Mom were the ones having to deal with all the behind scenes stuff- not me (oh, that's so different for me....but- oh-so-nice!). Thankfully, David had off on Thursday when all the leg work of deciding where and what to do about my placement change. So he and mom made countless calls and a couple of visits while super duper Papa D totally took care of Abigail and Audrey An all day. Thank you to all three for making the ball rolling in order for the transfer to happen! Since David had to work Friday, Mom and Dad picked me up from rehab #1 and transferred me directly to rehab #2. Well, actually, we stopped for a quick (???) lunch because I BEGGED them to not go through a drive thru for lunch!! My mental state NEEDED to get out of the car, go in and sit at a restaurant, enjoy a little "happy" (which did include an iced coke!!), and be a semi-normal human being for a few minutes before I started again with four walls closing in on me for who knows how long. Well, I think I gave my parents heart palpitations with that proposal since they were nervous about getting me in/out of the car by themselves! We managed, and this particular Wendy's had bar-type stools in which to sit down; therefore, making it much easier for me to get out of the chair! I think someone placed those chairs in there just for me! Watcha think? They were good sports and let me have my "moment" in the sun, enjoy my spicy chick chick and icey coke! Ok, no more of that now...well, maybe a few cheats every once in awhile... pretty please:-)

You might be wondering why the transferring to rehab #2. #1 had good and kind nursing and tech staff, but I was receiving only about 30 minutes a day of physical therapy (PT) and never was even evaluated by the Occupational Therapy (OT) until the night before my departure. Long story... We have chalked it up to 10 days being there equaled 10 days my body really needed to have more rest so now I can tackle the REAL rehab! I really don't think my body could've handled the required 3-3 1/2 hours of intense rehab when I was initially discharged from the hospital. So, thanks, mom, for reminding us it wasn't a waste of my time. I still needed skilled nursing care, and what man meant for evil (again- loooong story), God can still use for our good.

Place #2 is already so different...like it should be! I've already had PT, OT, speech, nurse, and physician evaluations- all with less than 24 hours of admission. A schedule is in place for my daily therapies, and it started yesterday and even have to report a huge praise! Yesterday was a very busy day with all the evaluation and initial therapies taking place, but I survived! I did more for myself (helped dry own hair and even shaved- no, more like mowed!- my own legs). Again, my range of motion is oh- so- bad. somehow I finagled my way to do those personal care things with assistance- it just took me about an hour and half with the OT and lots of little breaks. I cant raise my arms above my shoulders so all this was done with elbows propped on the wheelchair, but- hey- it's slight improvement! So, no Mrs. Speedy Gonzalez here! Anyway, I told several people last night that I will chalk up my first day here as a good day(and more to come!).

Last Christmas I gave both of the girls "Mommy and Me" journals. We enjoy writing little love notes back and forth to each other, and all three of us enjoy surprising each other with the journal by their nightstand.  I thought it was very interesting that my mom appeared with the girls' journals here two nights ago.  They had both written to me!  They obviously are missing their love notes and find some comfort and security in that. So, I was more than happy to write them back! I got a few more surprises this week, too! My aunt, uncle and grandmother Nini  "came to rehab with me" via the beautiful basket of potted plants/flowers and balloons. Then David called and said, you got a care package at home! A huge basket of wonderful goodies came from many friends from our "old" (as in moved away seven years ago!) bible fellowship class!  Wow... What a blessing!!! I share with you what I told these precious friends...

"Thank you soooo much!  This is such a perfect example and good reminder that a mutual love for The Lord will always bind Believers together...always. That's just how God designed it!  It's a great
testimony of what our class verse was."- Hebrews 10:24-25 "Let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another- all the more so as you seethe Day approaching. "







No comments: