Monday, October 1, 2012

Hard Choices

Uggh!  David and I had to make a very difficult decision this past week and are asking for prayers for our little girl.  We decided to place Audrey An back into first grade.  Honestly, we thought we had made the right decision by placing her into second grade, but she's just really struggling.  It's just going to get more difficult for her, and she simply hasn't "caught up" yet. Geeeez Louise, she's only been with us a little over three years and has done AMAZINGLY well.  Goodness, anyone who knows her knows she can talk your ear off, but her reading skills just need a little more time to develop in order to really excel in school.

I broke the news to her last night, and she was NOT a happy camper-oh my!  I truly have not seen her this upset since the day we received her in China!  She was weeping, bless her heart.  I could hardly stand it.  No, I could not stand it.  It ripped my heart out!  This is one of those choices we had to make knowing that it's going to be painful for her short term, but it's going to be the right choice long term.  It was a hard choice because her best little buddy is in her class, and we love her second grade teacher.  I could really kick myself for adding to her grief and causing yet another change in her life.  All along I felt in my heart she would need to repeat kindergarten or first grade, but she did "ok" on her testing when we returned from Vietnam so David and I thought she'd be okay.  Well, lesson learned.  Go with your gut...that's the Holy Spirit prompting (if you've prayed about it).  I shard with her teacher last week that when we first got AA she sleep walked a few times.  She started doing that again recently.  I don't know much about sleep walking, but what little I've read one of the causes can be stress.  It only makes sense in her case- especially given the timeframe/situation she was each time.  A little one doesn't need to struggle like she is with school when we can do something about it.  Praise the Lord we are in a school who is supports our decision and is working with us to set her up for success.

Thankfully, Audrey An is an amazingly resilient little girl.  She's had a LOT of change in her 7 1/2 years of living...and a lot of that has taken place in the past 3 years since she came into our family.  Please pray that God would just swoop her up into His arms and give her a peace with this transition.  Pray that she'll make a new friend quickly this week (she starts her new class tomorrow) and her new teacher will be the perfect match for the remainder of this school year.  Pray that this placement will help her solidify all these basic skills (especially reading) and she will know success in these areas.  Pray that she will see God work POWERFULLY in her life and through this situation!
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

On a lighter note... I am happy to report that Abigail scored SIX points (all from her serves!) in her last volleyball game!  I love it when  our girls see very tangible answers to their prayers, and I am expecting the same greatness and faithfulness this week with Audrey An!

No comments: