Sunday, September 11, 2011

I remember...

9/11...Ten years ago.  Yes, I remember.  I will never forget.  My first and only child I gave birth to was due on 9/11/2001, but thankfully she came three days early.  I had just been released from the hospital the day before.  David and I spent our first night in our tiny one bedroom apartment with our new roommate and bundle of joy on September 10th.  My parents were there for Abigail's birth as were other family members, but my mom was staying with us to help us get through the first few days with a newborn.  We borrowed an inflatable bed for mom to sleep on in our living room.  Abby's crib was at the foot of our bed and we used a chest of drawers as her changing table.  Exhausted from the night with a newborn I heard my mom quietly knocking on our bedroom door.  I heard this panic in her voice as she "yelled' in a whisper (trying not to wake me), "David!  David!  David...get up!  Something horrible has happened! An airplane crashed into the World Trade Center!"

Well, of course, we both jumped out of bed in a daze and we glued ourselves to the television for the rest of the day- no days- like every other American in disbelief.  I remember we all just were in shock, and I just wept- for me, some post pardum tears, some shock and sadness tears, and last but not least some "I don't want my husband to go back to work" tears.   Maybe this was selfish, but I just remember being so thankful Abigail made her debut early and David wasn't flying that day.  If she had come on her due date, he would have missed her birth due to all the planes being grounded.  Just a few weeks later, David was furloughed from his job-like so many others.  A change in career plans.  Yes, we remember.

No comments: