Tuesday, April 3, 2012

LAST doctor visit in this country!

Today, I had my last appointment with Dr. Nathalie.  Although I really like her, I will not miss walking through the doors of the International Clinic ;-)  It truly had become my second home while living over here.
My two angels at the clinic, Dr. Nathalie and Nurse Lee.  THANK YOU for all you've done for me this past year.  Your kindness and concern has been greatly appreciated- not only by me but by  my entire family.   I think Dr. Nathalie knows all my CPK numbers from memory, has written more medical reports for our insurance company, consulted with doctors in Thailand and France, and probably knows more than desired about dermatomyositis!  We've shared lots of laughs and good conversations, but she's also witnessed a few tears, frustration and questions from me.   Nurse Lee has taken more vials of blood on this one patient than she probably ever has!   I am grateful for each of you- truly.  It's rare to have a physician who takes the time to explain things to you, research questions I have, and have a great bedside manner all at the same time!  YOU should be the Director of the Clinic! I am your biggest fan (aka Mrs. Dermatomyositis!).  I pray many, many blessings on you and your family.  God has given you a wonderful gift!  He has used you to help get me through this year with this disease, and I can't wait to email you and tell you how God has healed me...completely!
Updated requests/praises from my March 8 post:
1.  That the IV steroid treatments of the past few weeks will hold me and God's Grace will be sufficient for me- especially for the 24+hour trip home. HE ALREADY KNOWS! update: CPK decreased to 1861 (from 2575 two weeks ago at last IV steroid treatment) and other levels were normal.  Dr. Nathalie said I looked better today (face less puffy and rash less red.  Glad she could see it because I can't!).  My knuckles look horrible and are very painful along with cracks in my mouth...ouch.  Muscle weakness is slightly improved from two weeks ago, but I'm still very weak.  She didn't see the need for another IV steroid treatment prior to departure and is lowering my steroid- yay! (I teased her that maybe I can stop shaving my face now...lol!).  Pray no chest tightness, no ear aches, and no blood clots on flight .  Pray for physical strength and sleep during flight.

2.  God's provision for our travel home- specifically, a first class ticket for me so I can even make the 24+ hour trip.   HE ALREADY KNOWS! update: we were able to get a slight discount on my business class ticket- Now I'll be able to be "horizontal" the entire time and be a bit more comfortable for the long haul home!

3.  God would lead me to just the right doctor back in the States to take over my treatment- someone who specifically treats dermatomyositis.  HE ALREADY KNOWS! update: I have appointment with the head of rheumatology at one of the major hospitals in our city on April 19 and have one more doctor lined up out of state if needed.

4.  God would lift David's burden in leading our family right now and ease his mind/heart about returning to work back home.  Another LOOOOONG story...yes, he has a job when he returns (YAY!).   He truly has so much on his plate right now...wow.  God KNOWS THE BEST PLAN FOR OUR FAMILY AND HIS CAREER.  I keep asking God to AMAZE US with His plan!!! (not only in regard to my health but with David's career!)  Again, HE ALREADY KNOWS!!  update:  David's boss has received many accolades from his peers for the great job he did with the new hire training.  As a result there are some "ideas" bouncing around for David stateside!

5.  The girls would see God's power and peace through this difficult family trial.  May their faith be increased and they would see God's tangible answer to their earnest prayers for their mommy's healing.  HE ALREADY KNOWS! update: still waiting on my miracle, but they are steadily seeing God answer prayers about the details of our return!

6. Girl's schooling for next school year.  I can't EVEN think about it right now, but I know I'm not home schooling anymore....simply just cannot do it being this sick.   Schools are starting to take applications/registration fees for next year and we don't even know where will be next school year again.  HE ALREADY KNOWS! update: ummm, haven't even touched this one yet-TOO MUCH other stuff going on!

7.  That we'd finish our time out here STRONG.  We want to leave this assignment with our heads held high.  I know that may sound odd to you, but it's a big deal to us.  It's been a trying year and we've definitely had our "moments" of not-so-pretty times, but we're learning.  We want God to be pleased with how we've handled things.  HE ALREADY KNOWS! update: it's been nice to know people are sad to see us go, David will be missed at work, and the girls have had some great playdates the past couple of weeks.  I'm so proud of David and the great job he has done in his new position of Director of Training.  He's a great instructor, and many of the new hires have told him it was the best ground school they had ever been through...yay, David!

8.  All the details of re-entry to life back "home"...oh, I can't even begin to name them all!  HE ALREADY KNOWS!
update:  friends have stepped up to the plate and offered to clean our house, stock our pantry, lend us a car, clean up the yard, prepare freezer meals, and my parents and my sister will come (at different times) to help out.  Friends here have helped me pack, and we've been able to bequeath all our household items, bicycles, and motorbikes here to four different families!
 
9.  Health and flight benefits will go into effect asap when we return so we can get going (literally!) on my treatment!  HE ALREADY KNOWS!
update:  flight benefits (prior to us leaving here) was a "no"- but that's an answer, too!  It truly was best in our situation anyway.  It would have been a tad stressful to get bumped from a flight with 11 suitcases and one sick momma!  Health benefits will go back into effect two days prior to my appointment, but we have coverage for 10 days with current company after we leave here (just praying we'll not need them because that will be another nightmare!). Pray no hiccups in this process!

10.  Whatever else you can think of because my brain is in such a fog I can't think straight! HE KNOWS THAT, TOO!!!
update:  * still need insurance reimbursement resolve prior to our departure! *landlord will honor her commitment to refund security deposit on Friday (she's changed her mind a few times).  *need ride from airport to home....didn't realize super shuttles would cost $160 one way (I guess with that much luggage??)...wow.

11.  Well, I need to put this on here, too- SLEEP!  With increased steroid dosage plus a steroid inhaler for chest tightness I am having trouble sleeping at night!  HE ALREADY KNOWS! update: still having lots of sleep issues- can't turn my brain off with all my to do lists!  Chest tightness and shortness of breath are some better though!  


Despite maintenance delays for David today, he still got to enjoy this view at 41, 000 feet! Bless his heart...not a real good week to be crunched on time.  Tomorrow is a new day.  May the Lord multiply our time as we tie up all the loose ends we have this week!
My walk from our house to the clinic.  I'll kind of miss this peaceful, little alley;-)






1 comment:

Macey Conradt said...

Still reading and praying! Safe travels to you!

Macey