Saturday, July 16, 2011

Medical updates...

It's been awhile since I've updated on my health and Abigail's health, too.  I'm taking the Abster back to the doctor on Monday (oh, and I know she'll be just thrilled when I tell her about that!).  It's been about a month since her labs were taken.  I don't think I ever posted what the results were.  If I didn't, the labs showed she has an iron deficiency and that she's HAD (sometime in the past) the Epstein-Barr virus (mononucleosis).  The test doesn't tell WHEN she had the virus....could be weeks or months ago....who knows!  So it does explain her very low energy level.  We started her on some iron pills, multi-vitamin, and really watching her diet and rest.  She must be struggling with getting over it.  I'm sure combined with the stress she's felt with my illness hasn't help out any either.  I've wondered if she's been scared that she's going to be "so sick like mommy"???  I asked her that, and she didn't answer very confidently so that tells me there must be some sort of anxiousness about that.  It breaks me heart to hear ask me, "Well, what time is the playdate?  You know, mommy, if it's too late in the afternoon, I don't think I can do it because i get so tired."---uggh!  It also breaks my heart to see her cry  and tell me how bad she feels on some days.   She definitely has better days.   All I can say is PTL that I AM BETTER and I have better ability to care for her now.  Oh, if we were both down....well, that wouldn't be good.

Yes, it's been about 3 weeks or so since my CPK level has been checked.  I am down to less than 1/2 the steroid dosage I was on when I left my hospitalization and have never had to begin taking the metho-trexate...yeah!  With that said, I do wonder if my CPK has increased a bit?  I think I overdid on our last little get away.  Towards the end of our trip my arms and hands began tingling, and I noticed today it was a little more difficult to get out of a chair that was sitting lower to the ground.   I don't think I realized how much walking we did until after the fact.  It's so hard to slow down when I am feeling better, but I have to remember that I've been very sick and not overdue it.

I'm still extremely grateful for the improvements and keep reminding myself what the physical therapist told me..."You can lose muscle mass very quickly, but it takes a much longer time to rebuild it."

1 comment:

Tiffany in Topeka said...

Tell Abigail to hang in there!! Elayna had mono this past school year and it seemed to take forever to get over. She also seems to catch things more easily now.... :( Glad you are both getting better, but be certain you rest up!! Love to you all! ~Tiffany