Saturday, July 30, 2011

Secret Keeper Girl Date #2

It's been about a month since we completed SKG Date #1 due to us both being sick, but today we got out and conquered Abigail's first mani/pedi then topped it off with a trip to one of our favorite coffee shops!
Fun times with my girl!
Abigail went with the french mamicure (and mommy copied!).
Okay, can't get two manicures and two pedicures in the states for $16!!!
Ahhh, yes, that is my motorbike helmet...don't leave home with out it!
Today's date we talked about true beauty.  In my opinion, true beauty comes shining through from a heart that's devoted to God and one's countenance and character radiates that Light.  I've always loved , " your beauty should not come from outward adornment...it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight" (I Pt. 3:4).  Yes, it's fun to get dolled up, shop for a new outfit and get a manicure every once in awhile.  There's nothing wrong with looking nice and taking care of yourself....we should take care of ourselves!  It's great to be girlie...that's how we're wired!   When the focus becomes an obsession that's when there's a problem.   When more time is spent making the outside look good than making the inside look attractive that's when there's a problem...BIG problem.  Haven't we all fallen into the trap though, ladies?  Probably so at one time or another.  Hopefully, as moms we can redirect our sweet girls to place the focus on the right beauty- true beauty.

I thought it was very interesting when I asked Abigail if there was something she didn't like about her body she just kinda looked at me like, "huh??"  Thankfully, this isn't an issue with her (....yet!).  In fact, she said, "I love my funny toe!" (as do I!).  For years we've talked about her "special" toe.  One of toes is very crooked.  It looks like it's broken.  Instead of making it a negative when she discovered it, we've always called it her "special toe and isn't it so cute".  Since that, she really does think it's cute and is so proud of it!  She's not self conscious at this point about body image (oh, and I do pray that she'll keep that innocent nature!) because if you're a female reading this you know that most likely there will come a day when your hips seem a little too wide.  Your waste has become a tad too thick.  Your freckles are too dark.  Your arms are not toned enough. Or....you fill in the blank.    Abigail, may you always look in the mirror and see what only God wants you to see and not be plagued with insecurity.

"I praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful.  I know that full well." Ps. 139:14

No comments: