Monday, December 27, 2010

Party Princess and a Melt Down

Sunday was AA's birthday, and she couldn't wait to be the first one in the family to celebrate in our new country!  We had a fun day together, and she seemed to be genuinely happy about her special day although we didn't do much of anything extraordinary.  David had his first flight with his new company that day and even left before the rooster's started crowing.  The girls and I did our first taxi ride from the apartment to a meeting in the morning (thank goodness for business cards that have both languages on them that I can show to the driver!), walked to a new place for lunch, and hung out there for awhile.  Thankfully, they had some bakery items so I was able to purchase something for her "cake".  I let her pick, and from all the items on display she chose a cutely (is that a word?) decorated gingerbread cookie?!?!  Personally, I would have gone for the big, honkin' chocolate cake, but....whatever.  It made her happy!  We walked another 25 minutes to get home (if we hadn't stopped for lunch our trip home would have taken at least 45-50 minutes) ten waited for Daddy-o to get home.  Please don't take for granted that most of you reading this can hop in your car and drive to Kroger or Target and get whatever you need, AND if you forget something, you can hop right back into and drive back...probably very fast.  We ordered pizza for dinner, and I think it was probably the 6th or 7th time we've had pizza in two weeks.  So glad it doesn't take much for little ones to feel special because I wasn't feelin' the creative juices flowing.  AA was thrilled to skype the family.  It was still the night of the 25th for them, but AA's birthday here so they sang "Happy Birthday!" and she was a happy camper.
party pic!
I love that they always hold hands, and I love that AA was wearing her Party Princess hat all the way home.  It totally didn't bother her that people were staring at her...love that about her!  She does her own thing.


Today, I was on the verge of a melt down- a small one.  It would have been my 2nd one since we got here.  Hey, I'm thinking that's not too bad  : )  My cleaning gals had just left (still such a foreign concept for me!!), and I was able to take a deep breathe.  It's just kinda really odd for me to have people here cleaning up after me!  I feel this compulsive need to help them, but I've been told not to though and let them "do their thing".  I did do the "team" approach on her first time with me and helped her make the beds....just can't help it!  She came back for something- I don't even know for what because she got sidetracked "helping" me cook lunch.  Oh my, the frustration began to set in as I was NOT understanding what she was trying to tell me.  Bless her heart, she just smiles and then starts speaking very slowly and makes me repeat what she saying.  Okay, so I'm kinda learning to repeat what she's saying, but I have no clue WHAT I'm saying.  She just smiles at me like I've got it.  Wow, I never really learned how to cook while understanding english, and now I'm trying to learn it in another language?  LOL!!!  Apparently, I was even using the "wrong" size rice bowls, too.  I think she felt sorry for me when she opened the fridge (and basically saw nothing!).  She left and came back with 3 tomatoes and some green onions, and "other" things.  I was just happy that I actually was cooking rice for AA's lunch, but I think she couldn't imagine that anyone wanted to eat plain rice (which AA does like).  After she finished concocting some lunch for us she set it on the table and told us to sit down.  I was telling the girls to sit down and say thank you because she had gone to a lot of trouble. She insisted that we pour it on our rice, and AA was making "yucky" faces.  I was kicking AA under the table (if you know what I mean!).  I decided to try it and it was good.   THEN...Abigail and I spotted something.  Something that looked rather "wormish".  Needless to say, the melt down began...

So back to Audrey An.  My little semi melt down made me think and cherish Audrey An's transition into our family.  I am just having such a better appreciation for my sweet and resilient daughter!  I can't imagine what life was like for you beginning 18 months ago!  What I'm experiencing is such a small glimmer of your transition into your new world.  I have a husband and two daughters who can understand me.  You had no one and nothing familiar to you!   I have so much to learn from you.  You have lived in 3 countries in 18 months and are now being exposed to your 3rd language.  YOU, my child, are one amazing little cookie... I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!

Okay, David will be home in a few hours.  Dinner....what to do, what to do!

No comments: