Saturday, December 25, 2010

What a GREAT Day!

Our unique, Bamboo/Palm-like Christmas tree!

Two very appreciative and precious daughters...it's was so thrilling to see them excited about having their stockings from back home and just as satisfying to see them thrilled with simple and very minimal gifts.  What a blessing!
They both were pretty pumped with lipstick and lollipops!
Gotta love me some technology!  We skyped with my parents and my grandmother this morning.  We sang them our special song- the one I posted yesterday!
That's one good lookin' Santa and two cute li'l elves : )
We then read and watched a movie about the reason for the season.  David and I just teared up at different moments.  My special Christmas request was that it be a special and meaningful day for my entire family.  I knew it would be very different as we'd be 4 of a very small population who would be thankful.  It was refreshing to not be in an atmosphere that wasn't so commercialized, and we were able to really appreciate and focus of the Gift.  As we watched about the Son I saw things in a different light.  I really tried to put myself in the mother's shoes, and I was also touched thinking about the father- what an amazing man he must have been, too!   What an incredible bond He was able to give the mother and father.   I related in such a special way knowing that my family had been moved to a foreign land and had hope in the gift as well.

After our wonderful morning together we took a taxi to the downtown area which we had not ventured to yet.  WOW...so interesting.  There's a street for everything- literally.  There's "purse" street.  There's "clothing" street.  There's "lace and ribbon" street, etc.  By this time we were all starving and let's just say turkey and dressing was not on anyone's menu, but we found such a cool little place!
 We sat outside at the Rock Billy Cafe on this very very narrow "patio" (it was more like a window!), but then moved inside since it was rather chilly today.
Sharing a sweet moment with his youngest!
Singing Christmas carols with Audrey An.
We've never had rice spring rolls, spicy beef and noodles, rice with veggies and cashews for Christmas dinner before!  The girls opted for something a bit more western....ham and cheese sandwich with fries.  We had moon pies and oreos for dessert when we got back home...woo hoo!
asian fingers...
Kinda reminded my  of the Old Navy manequins!
Okay, so which rice do I buy?  I thought there were only TWO kinds of rice- white and brown!
Where's Waldo?

The ONLY thing I would have changed about today is going to the Big C (and the loud music that's blaring from outside....hope that's not a regular thing or David's 4am departures are going to come even earlier!).  We kinda had to though.  David has his first flight tomorrow and needed an iron for his uniform, etc.  Oh, and food.  We were told not to go on the weekend, and we didn't obey!  The Big C is like a Wal-Mart- well, kind of : )

Now...off to plan a birthday party for tomorrow.  Should be interesting to try to find some kind of cake or something "festive"!   I better deliver 'cause my sweet little Xiaoli is anticipating SOMETHING.   Hmmmm...

No comments: