Friday, March 21, 2014

Chan's First Airplane Ride!

Ahhhh...2 hours to sit on a plane, kids belted in (ha!), maybe I can close my eyes for a bit...120 minutes to be in my own little world- maybe. Okay, who am I kidding! I've got a nine year old over achiever wanting help on her homework sitting next to me :-)

We, of course, have had lots of stairs on this trip- nothing we are not used to because of our height, hair color and mixed family.

Friday was a first though. As we were at the gate waiting for our flight to Guangzhou, a lady asked very politely if she could speak to us. In very broken English she began to ask if Abigail was our daughter, and we said, "yes", but we also pointed to Audrey An and Chan and said, "She's our daughter, and he's our son." She was a bit perplexed, of course, and she proceeded to tell David that he was very unusual to be so happy with his children. She said it's not like that here with fathers. We've seen that firsthand, and I felt such joy and sadness at the same time. Joy because David is a fantastic daddy, and I was thankful for others to see that in a culture who doesn't see that regularly. Thankful my girls let their daddy be goofy and loving towards them. Thankful Chan is already experiencing his baba's love. This lady asked to have her picture made with all our children, and we obliged. There were many others (like an entire plane ready to board!) who began taking pictures of this "interesting" family.

As I'm typing (not sure when this will actually post), Audrey An and I are sitting behind David, Abigail and Chan. The absolute WONDER in his eyes as he experiences his first airplane ride with us is absolutely precious! I can't EVEN imagine the neurons in his brain that have been firing off not only tonight but all week-the past three weeks (starting with bridge family)! Oh my!!! I know he needs a vacation! He's read the safety chart, listened with earphones, stared out the window and motioned with his hand a ball (the sun!), eaten a meal, ordered juice, and even was completely enthralled with the tray table that it had a "circle" holder for his drink. He's been poking and prodding at all if us t make sure WE don't missing anything on the flight. This has been QUITE a different "first flight" than with Audrey An! She screamed for two hours straight to Guangzhou back in 2009. She didn't understand the whole seatbelt thing and the air pressure hurt her ears.

Just a few things I've learned about my son in just five short days: timid to strangers (warms up pretty fast though), ALL BOY, future rock climber/ soccer player/ baseball player, boxer, iPad, expert, creative, funny, soooo smart, brave, compassionate, tender hearted, curios, happy, brave, "carrot" (Abigail's new name for him...aka "climber" + "parrot"), oh...and did I mention brave. He's already learned so man English words in such a short period of time, and is already starting to use many phrases appropriately without prompting. His favorite is "iPad please!". I did hear my first "mama" (on his own accord) as we were about to get off the airplane! He wanted me to help him with his backpack! (AA said her first mama in my arms at the airport, too!)- what is it with airports??!!?? You'd think we kinda like those in our family or something!👍

The girls are doing really well with their new brother. I'm quite impressed with Abigail. She's taught herself many Chinese words/phrases this week. She wakes up in the morning and asks to learn more Chinese using some of the apps I have downloaded. We affectionately called our new language "chinglish"- kinda catchy I think! Audrey An is so resilient, too. Like I mentioned the Great Wall was one of her two requests for this trip, her second answer to prayer (for five years) came on Wednesday when she was reunited with her foster family. I really think it filled a void for her in some way, and will be such an important piece of her HIStory that's now been filled in-already at a pretty young age. She has prayed for them as well as her birth parents on her own initiative for as long as I can remember her understanding what those terms even meant. I see some jealousy starting, but not over the top at all as of yet. She genuinely is so thrilled to have him in our family!

So grateful for this journey and all the prayers that are being lifted for us. If I could add one more specific to the list- a clear TB test during his required medical in the morning (all our stateside friends' Friday night) in order to obtain his visa for the US. Many times there are false positives which could add some days to our trip- not good. If it truly is a positive, David and the girls would return to the States and Chan and I would have to stay behind for weeks possibly. I'm just believing this is one more detail that's in The Lord's hands and trusting a "negative" test result (the first time).

Okay, about to land. And, no, I didn't even get to close my eyes :-)

He's seems so happy, and wow... when he smiles it lights up a room! Everyone is now asleep and we are staying in by far the nicest hotel I've ever been in, and he moved his pillow down to the ground to sleep on the hard floor...sniff sniff.

No comments: