Monday, March 17, 2014

Gotcha!

GOTCHA, Chan David!! Sunday at 4pm we were face to face with our soma a day we'd been thinking and praying about for a long time.  The bridge family brought him to the building, and it was so great to meet another answer to our prayers- a loving and like minded family to care, love and influence our son until we we came.  I feel like I've know them forever and they'll forever be part of our family! They've been so gracious to us us. We love you!

Yes, this came first....
Then, he realized...

To be honest, the "transfer" didn't go as smoothly as we'd hoped, but he is really starting to warm up to this "strange" family he's only seen on Skype and in pictures.  He really shut down for about two hours- hands over his face and wouldn't talk.  Thankfully, we were able to get a few snapshots right when he got there!  He obviously bonded with the bridge family (which we are soooo glad he was happy and felt loved!), but in that it was hard for him to say goodbye.  After they left, Chan, David and I had to have our picture made for his official adoption decree that we were given this morning (Monday).  That was interesting! (He wouldn't sit up and look up so the photographer could take his photo). Bless his heart.  I just can't imagine the paralyzing fear and no telling what other emotion! What a brave boy he is!

We left there with our guide our agency provides and took him to a noodle shop for dinner.  He looked at the menu and didn't want Asian food- go figure!  We asked what he wanted and he said ice cream and pizza"! (That's my boy!).  So....Pizza Hut it was (but he ordered chicken wings!)! 

Audrey An tryyyyying so hard to comfort her grieving brother!
After almost two hours of no interaction other than a few kicks along the way...smart phone- the universal language of love???
Actually, I need to back up to "on our way to pick up Chan-David the paparazzi and...
Audrey An wearing the bracelet the orphanage workers gave her on HER Gotcha Day in 2009.  They told her if she ever came back to China to bring her bracelet (they kept one and gave her one to remember her heritage).  I brought it but didn't tell her and even give it to her until we were riding in then van to the civil affairs office.  As you can see, she was beaming!  So proud!

This morning, we went back to the civil affairs to finalize the adoption! Then we rode to the police station to get his passport photo made.  After that we walked on top of the city wall (about 8 miles in perimeter, 100 feet wide and no buildings within the city wall can be taller than the Bell Tower)- so cool!  David and I love the rich history of Xi'an.  It's the oldest city in China, used to be the Capitol city during the (??) Dynasty (can't remember at the moment!) during that time in which Xi'an was called Chang-an.  
On the way I showed him a book of AA's first year with us that I was giving.  He was quite intrigued by it all!  He didn't see the pictures of him in there until he finished looking through it and I pointed him out. I think he was in disbelief. (Pictures of him and AA I'd received from disposable camera I'd sent five years ago!). As we were leaving the civil affairs office I recognized the man pictured above - he helped with our paperwork with AA's adoption.  I showed him a picture on my phone of that day, and he was thrilled!  He told is he hoped we come back one day :-)

A limitless "English immersion"- Elf!!
Oh dear, every time we go to. The elevator he just looked up at me and grinned! (If you've not seen the movie, Where have you been? :-)

Tomorrow,  we get to see the Terra Cotta Warriors again (his first), and Wednesday....well, you'll just have to stay tuned because if it comes to pass, it will be a "yes" to so a prayer of Audrey An's (and all of ours) since pretty much they day she learned English!

One more thing...my hubby is my hero just about now!!! As most of you know photography is a little hobby of David, Abigail and mine.  Well, silly me...other than our travel documents THE most important item for me to pack was our SLR camera and, ummmmm, THE CHARGER! Guess what got left behind I the States???? Yep, the charger (and the switch got flipped so we've not had our nice camera until just now!)!  We had problems finding a place to find a replacement until David just swooped in right now with the goods- woohoo!

What a difference prayer, 24 hours and lots of love makes!
Ok...gotta get some sleep!

No comments: