Thursday, March 31, 2011

Back Home...

First of all, if you've arrived at my blog via clicking on my fb link and looking for the post about our special day with Audrey An, it's the post right before this (March 30).  For some reason my links aren't "linking too well" lately.

We arrived back "home" in our country of residence about 8:30 this morning.  So you know what that means????  We had to get up pretty stinkin' early to board an international flight (arriving 2 hours early) and touched down by 08:30am!!!  OH, and how glad that flight is over.  It was the most miserable flight I've ever been on, and I've been on a few!  My pain level was so intense and my ears popped/hurt so badly.    I know a nap is in my future this afternoon.  I wish it were in David's future, too, but it's not.  Since he IS Super Hubby, Super Daddy and now Super Employee lately he's leaving out again to fly the friendly skies, bless his heart.    David, I know I've told you many many times lately, but I truly couldn't have made it through this medical saga without you!  You've been wonderful!  You've helped me so much by taking care of everything in regards to our little "trip".  You've been currency converter, taxi cab hailer, hotel reserver, flight arranger, room service orderer, lunch and dinner finder, medical interpreter, credit card bill payer (I thought it was suppose to be direct bill....arrrggh!), kid show-me-Bangkok while I'm in bed guy, American Idol channel finder, market bargain finder, home school teacher, hormone putter upper (I kinda like that new word!), tear wiper, and most of all prayer warrior, encourager and hand holder!   I love you mucho.  In sickness and in health....

So, after 10 days of doctor's appointments and a whole lot of testing I'm toast.  Yes, toast.  I'm simply worn out emotionally and even more so physically.   I've never been so thoroughly tested- ever.  I'm extremely grateful for the whole experience and the ability to have even been a patient at the hospital.  We have some answer, but I think we have even more unanswered questions.  If you've know me for any amount of time, you know that I (along with the other females in my family) typically fit into the medical category of "Oh, that only happens to 1-2% of patients", etc.  The good news is that I don't have an auto-immune disease, tropical disease, parasite and a host of other things to "rule out".  I rejoice in that!  The tough thing is that they don't exactly know what is causing my muscle deterioration.  To recap, the endocrinologist thinks it's all due to hormonal imbalance.  The rheumatologist  feels that I do have a hormonal imbalance, but that doesn't cause muscle deterioration...inflammation, yes, but not deterioration.  He calls it a non-specific myositis/myopathy.   The infectious disease doctor has ruled out all the "biggies" and is still searching, honestly.  Hours before we left on the plane he was still sending out labs of blood work.  Since my "numbers" (the muscle enzyme # that is extremely elevated) had come down a bit, we left on the note of "wait and see".    He, of course, wanted it to come down more, but at least it hadn't increased!  If I'm not better in a month they want to see me again and pursue a MRI and muscle biopsy.  He said if the numbers had increased he would have done those tests asap.

All I know is that you know you're getting old when your daughter has to help you out of the bath and get dressed AND you have a pharmaceutical arsenal sitting next to your bathroom sink.  You know you're weak when you can't clip your own finger nails or pick up a pillow....geesh, I've haven't hit the 4-0 either : )  You know you're blessed when you have two sweet girls who have spent 50+ hours in hospital clinic waiting rooms entertaining themselves and trying their best to to do school.  And, well....I've already talked about David : )   You know, I had lots of time to people watch over the past 10 days.  I saw lots of interesting people, heard lots of interesting stories, and observed a lot of different beliefs.  It was definitely a melting pot of God's creations.  Oh, how thankful I know for sure that I believe in the Great Physician!

The following has been an encouragement to me in the past couple of weeks...
"I will extol the LORD at all times;
   his praise will always be on my lips.
I will glory in the LORD;
   let the afflicted hear and rejoice.
Glorify the LORD with me;
   let us exalt his name together.
 I sought the LORD, and he answered me;
   he delivered me from all my fears.
 Those who look to him are radiant;
   their faces are never covered with shame.
This poor man called, and the LORD heard him;
   he saved him out of all his troubles.
The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him,
   and he delivers them. 

Taste and see that the LORD is good;
  blessed is the one who takes refuge in him"
 Ps. 34:1-8

No comments: