Thursday, April 7, 2011

I think "it" has name

I went to the clinic yesterday due to my insane itching/aching in my ears that will NOT stop.  My wonderful doctor, Dr. Nathalie, who has been so caring and so concerned about me asked me to come back in today since she consulted with yet another doctor...this one in Paris (as in France).  So I shall call this doctor, Dr. Paris.  She had contacted "Dr. Paris" (another rheumatologist) and sent her pics of my bizarro cuticle issue and red rash on my chest and face (I looked like a bright red tomato yesterday!).  After reviewing all my tests and numbers she said that I definitely have dermatomyositis.  I listened in on their conversation (and I was quite intrigued since I don't speak a lick of French).   I just had to chuckle out loud to Dr. Nathalie when she told me that she would be with Dr. Paris in June and they'd have fun discussing my case (again, one of those medical mysteries!).  The Bangkok rheumatologist referred to it as possibly this disease but wasn't committing to that diagnosis at this point.

The reason my cuticles, throat and ears are being affected is that the disease is spreading...not good.  Dr. Paris says that my "numbers" are very high, and I have a very severe case and I need to start treatment asap- which I did just about an hour ago!  Hopefully, it hasn't spread to other organs.  I'm headed back to the clinic tomorrow to have a visit with the cardiologist (Dr. # ?????) and make sure everything is okay there.  More blood was taken today and more will be taken in a week to have a baseline for treatment.

Even though I know this is quite serious and I don't even have an idea if other major organs are affected, I'm thankful I have a plan of treatment (and a long one at that).  Granted the treatment is less than desirable because I know of the possible side effects.   I know I just must continue to place it in the Lord's hands.  He is faithful to guide me through it all. My prayer is that no other organs have been affected and the disease will be contained, and obviously, that I would respond well to treatment without horrible side affects and be healed completely!

On a lighter note.  I'm most grateful for several of my new friends (and David's co-workers).  What a blessing they were today!  David had to leave for his flight prior to my appointment so he arranged our chauffeurs for his girls this afternoon.  Since the road we live on has a huge barricade at the end of it where we typically catch a taxi (AND to call for a taxi to come to our apartment is virtually an impossibility), Matt and Dejan drove us to the clinic.  Then...Chrissy made us dinner and delivered it to the clinic!   THANK YOU...all of you.  Today would have been very difficult without each of you.  We appreciate your willingness to help.  AA was super excited to "drive" Mr. Dejan's motorbike, too.  WHAT have you started???? : )

Psalm 9:10
"Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you."

Psalm 143:1
"O LORD, hear my prayer, listen to my cry for mercy; in your faithfulness and righteousness come to my relief."

No comments: